Sunday, February 15, 2015

Immetis


Temporalis had taken quite a bit of damage during the battle. He managed to make his way to a table, upended it, and laid down behind it, doing his best to stay conscious. Freija found him and worked at healing his wounds enough to get him back on his feet. With all dead but one, and the one unconscious, we took the opportunity to look around the room a bit. The place was rather cleaned out, with just a bit of money left and an item in a satchel that Finfer recognized as a drift globe. He took it back to the barracks to inspect. I gave Freija some hempen rope from my backpack, and she tied our prisoner to one of the barrack beds. Not long after, he started to wake up, confused as to where he was and why he was tied up. Temporalis approached him and stood there for a moment, not saying anything. Eventually, he said “So, talk.” The prisoner glared at Temporalis and said “I have nothing to say to you.” Temporalis said “I’ll give you two silver if you talk.” The man laughed. “Two silver? Really?” Temporalis backed up a bit, waited a moment, then promptly walked up to the man, pulled a knife, and cut off the index finger on his left hand. The man screamed, blood running down his hand and dripping on the wooden floor. “WHAT THE HELL?! WHY DID YOU DO THAT? ARE YOU INSANE?” he yelled “Crazy half elf bastard!” Before Temporalis could respond, Freija grabs his arm. “May I speak with you for a moment?” Without waiting for Temporalis to respond, she drug him by his arm to the nearby tables and plopped him down. “Was that really necessary?” she asked, arms folded, staring him down. “Do you think that maybe, just maybe, you could have given another one of us a chance to talk to him before you started removing body parts?” Temporalis shrugged. “It seemed like the appropriate thing to do. He wouldn’t take a bribe, so I thought maybe pain would help loosen his tongue.” Freija just shook her head and stalked away, muttering something about being intolerant of such blatant disregard for others.

She approached the prisoner, slowly. “Look,” the man said, before Freija could say or do anything, trying to scoot as far from her as he could, being tied up. “I know I’m not getting out of here alive, so I’m not telling you lot a bloody thing.” Freija held her hands up, palms open, and said “We just want to ask you some questions.” The man stared at her, incredulous. “Then ASK. All you’ve done so far is CUT OFF MY BLOODY FINGER. Nobody has asked a single question!” Temporalis, who had walked up behind Freija, said “We just want to know your name.” Finfer, back in the corner, tinkering with the drift globe, chuckled softly and shook his head. Freija, glaring at Temporalis, asked “What’s with the barracks?” The man stared defiantly at her, mouth closed. It was obvious he wasn’t going to talk to her. Freija eyed him. “Do you know what I am?” she asked. “Yes,” he said. “Your kind are what I’m hunting.” Confused, Willow spoke up. “What does that mean? Are you responsible for all the killing and robbing that has happened?” The man held his head high. “I am a direct descendant of Pelor. I am here, because it is my sacred duty to rid the world of Vecna’s evil.” he said, glaring at Freija. Temporalis let out a low whistle. “Well,” he said. “I certainly wasn’t expecting that.”

“I have heard of Pelor,” I said, “but who is Vecna?” Temporalis said “In short, Vecna is the god of evil secrets. His symbol depicts a hand with an eye in its palm.” Freija turned to the prisoner. “So, are we to understand that you believe Pelor approves of you murdering people?” The man answered “Of course, if those people go against Pelor, they deserve to die.” Temporalis suddenly groaned and said “Oh, my. Oh no. I believe there has been a large misunderstanding. I’ll be honest, I feel absolutely terrible about cutting off your finger.” He turned to Willow. “Do you think you could help me reattach it?” Willow rolled her eyes and sighed. “I will see what I can do.” While working on his maimed hand, Willow asked the prisoner “Were all your companions here descendants or otherwise in alignment with Pelor, as well?” The man didn’t respond. Temporalis said “If you cooperate with us, you will leave here alive, you have my word.” The man looked at him. “And I’m just supposed to take the word of a mad man who cuts fingers off people just because he feels like it?” Willow glared at Temporalis and said “I promise, he will not hurt you again.” The man looked at Willow, Freija, and Temporalis, and said “Fine. You want to know what’s in those tents? Your death, that’s what. Guards, dogs, officers, you name it. It’s there. Go on, check it out. You won’t come out.”

“You are lying.” I said. “You do not know what is in there.” He shrugged. “Maybe I am. But the evil in this land will be eradicated, Vecna will see to that.” he said. I asked “So what about the people in the caravans? Were you and your men behind those attacks, as well?” The man said “Those caravans were attacked because Pelor dictated it.” A brief silence followed, as we each considered the information we have learned. Temporalis said “My name is Temporalis. Have you ever heard that name before?” The prisoner said “Once. In a song. A long time ago. What does this have to do with anything?” Temporalis shrugged. Finfer, from the corner, piped up. “Who’s in charge around here? Who runs the camp?” The prisoner said “Immetis.” I asked “Where might we find this Immetis?” The prisoner indicated with his head “Up in the main tent, with his guards.” Freija said “Thank you, you’ve been most helpful.” and tightened his ropes against the bunk. Suddenly, the man started squirming and screaming. “HELP!” he yelled. “I’M BOUND IN HERE! THERE ARE FIVE OF THEM! ONE IS A BLOODY LUNATIC!” Freija quickly tore some fabric off her tunic, stuffed it in his mouth, and knocked him out again.

Once the prisoner was again unconscious and securely tied, we made our way to the cabin doors. Finfer, closest to the door, abruptly slid over out of sight and motioned we do the same. “What is it?” I asked, crouched down next to Temporalis. Freija, being up by the door with Finfer, peered out the door. “Wargs,” she reported. “Four of them. They seem to be... eating something. I don’t think they’ve seen us. What do you want to do?” Freija turned to us, whispering. “I don’t really want to face four of them.” I nodded my agreement. “I think it would be best to wait and see what they do. They may move on.” The others agreed, so we waited and watched. After a bit, one stopped eating and caught a scent in the air. It moved toward the cabin, watching for movement. Freija and Finfer plastered themselves against the walls just inside the door, seeming to hold their breath. A short distance away from the cabin doors, it called out in goblin. “A muul o'kaan ac daagaan. A shac taach o.” (I know you’re in there. I can smell you.) “O tuuch dach duun ghaan.” (You should talk to me.) Willow translated what was said. Surprised, we looked at one another. “See what you can find out.” Freija suggested to Willow. Willow moved closer to the window near her. In goblin, she replied “Shuulkaan duun daan dekuul. Al'duukaan.” (Come to the window. Alone.) The warg responded “An o den.” (As you wish.)

The warg left its companions and meandered to the window. “Dar an adhar okuuc.” (That is far enough.) Willow said. “We’re not here for you” the warg said. “We’re not interested in you.” Willow translates to us as the warg speaks. “Then why are you here?” Willow asked. “We were given as gifts to new masters, but we didn’t like them. They are not like our old masters, the orcs.” the warg said. “Why?” Willow asked. “They are cowards. They do not fight, but instead they hide and make others fight for them.” the warg replied. “What did you do?” Willow asked. “We killed them and ate them.” Willow was silent for a moment. “If you are not here for us, would you let us pass freely?” The warg replied “It depends on where you are going. If you are going the same direction as us, I cannot make any promises.” Willow said “We are going to the tents.” The warg replied “We are not. But, if you come out now, we will kill you. If you let us pass, you will be safe.” Willow agreed to the temporary truce, and we waited until the wargs finished their meal. After they wandered off into the woods, Freija poked her head out and looked around. “Is it clear?” Temporalis asked. “It looks like it.” Freija said. “Let’s go.”

Freija hoisted the unconscious prisoner over her shoulders and carried him with us. She bound him to a nearby tree while we assessed the tent. Temporalis said “We should call them out, like the warg called us.” Freija agreed. She stood near the tent opening, Willow to the left, Temporalis off to the right, and Finfer and I hid behind tree stumps, each of us with weapons at the ready. Freija yelled out “We know you’re in there. In the name of Ehlonna, we come in peace!” A few moments later, a human came charging violently out of the tent, wielding a heavy mace. Freija held up a closed fist, whispered a spell, and opened her fist. The human promptly dropped his weapon, dumbfounded by what had just happened. Finfer took that opportunity to shoot him in the arm with a crossbow bolt, which knocked him out of the spell. He picked up his mace and swung at Freija’s head, but she managed to duck in time. His companion in the tent, an elf, heard the commotion and ran out, firing arrows as he ran. One arrow at whizzed by Freija, leaving a gash in her arm. I took aim and fired a shot at the human, lodging an arrow deep in his bicep, while Temporalis cast magic that struck his other arm. Freija put away her sword, placed both hands on the human’s chest, and shoved him back into the tent, following after him. The human emerged from the tent and ran straight for Willow just as the elf attempted to shoot her with an arrow. The arrow narrowly missed, so the elf, frustrated at his poor aim, ran up to her instead. Now, flanked by both enemies, Willow raised her arms high in the air, palms up, and threw them down, releasing a shock wave with a sound like thunder, violently pushing both the human and the elf away from her. I took the opportunity to shoot the human in the head, killing him. Temporalis cast dark magic at the elf, but missed, so he pulled his dagger and ran for him. Before Temporalis could reach the elf, though, Finfer appeared from behind the corner of the tent and the elf dropped to the ground, a crossbow bolt sticking out of the back of his neck.

All was quiet, with the exception of a dog barking in the distance. Concerned by the sound of Willow’s shock wave and what it might have attracted, Temporalis said “We should search, but search fast. We need to get moving.” Agreeing, Willow searched the elf but found nothing. Finfer searched the human, found nothing, but noticed a tattoo on the underside of his right bicep that resembled a dagger crossed over a key. In the tent, Freija and I found clothes, food, drink, farming tools, glass bottles, and miscellaneous files, nothing out of the ordinary. As we pulled the bodies into the tent and closed the flap, Finfer asked Temporalis “What do you make of the tattoo?” Temporalis inspected it. “I’m unsure.” He said, making a sketch of it. “It looks like a crime syndicate, but I’m unsure of which one.”

We made our way to the big tent. The sound of the dog barking grew louder the closer we got to the tent. As with before, Freija called out “We come in peace! In the name of Ehlonna, we come in peace!” Suddenly, we hear a woman screaming in fear coming from inside the tent. Freija and Temporalis immediately ran up to the tent, and Temporalis held the tent flap open while Freija, shield up, made her way in. We hear the thud of something bouncing off her shield, and she turned and yelled over her shoulder “This woman needs help!”

I ran up and entered the tent. As soon as I did so, the dog rushed at me and snapped, barely missing my calf. Temporalis dropped the tent flap and ran in right behind me, getting nipped by the snarling dog on his leg on his way in. Finfer entered the tent and tried to shoot the dog, but the dog was running and lunging so Finfer’s arrow stuck in the ground. Willow joined us inside the tent, tried to shoot the man, and missed, hitting the wall behind him instead. Freija approached the woman. “Stay behind me! I will protect you!” Not hearing anything, the woman continued to scream and made a break for the tent door, but was blocked by the dog, so she was cowering in the corner, instead, whimpering. Freija turned to the man and tried to knock him over with her shield, but the man was ready for the hit, blocked it, and punched her across the head so hard it knocked her unconscious. Willow rushed to her side to offer healing assistance, but the man was right there and kicked Freija in the head, making Willow’s efforts futile. Meanwhile, Finfer popped up from behind a chair to shoot the man the same time I released an arrow at him. Both arrows hit, one in the arm and one in the shoulder, but the dog managed to clamp down on my calf and tripped me up, knocking me down. Enraged at being shot, the man turned toward Finfer. As I was struggling against the dog, Temporalis cast a spell on the man, whispering in his head, disorienting him, and shoving him out of the tent. The woman, still naked and trembling in the corner, took the opportunity to run out of the tent, and ran into the forest, still screaming. Finfer shot the dog with an arrow, killing it.

Willow ran out of the tent after the man, and shot him in the shoulder with an arrow. In a rage, he turned, ran to Willow, and knocked her in the head with a gloved fist. She crumpled to the ground, barely conscious, blood leaking out of her nose. “WILLOW!’ I screamed, shoving the dog’s body off me. I got to my feet and ran toward Willow with Finfer right on my heels. The man heard my scream and turned. As I approached, I pulled out my short sword and swung, but he stepped aside in time and parried the attack. Finfer ran to the side of the tent for cover and took a shot, but in his struggle with me the man managed to turn just in time and the arrow missed. I managed to sliced him in the thigh with my short sword, but he responded by swinging at me with his mace, hitting me in the temple, and knocking me unconscious.

When I awoke, I was in massive pain. My head was pounding and my body ached with every move I made. As warm magic trickled through me, the pain lessened and I was able to slowly sit up. “What happened?” I inquired, looking around to see the man that had caused so much trouble on the ground, dead. “Who killed him?” I heard Willow’s voice. “I did” I looked up at her. “But you were... I saw you on the ground.” Willow turned to Freija. “She saved me.” Freija nodded to Willow. Temporalis said “We also found a chest full of money, a few healing potions, a note, and a scroll. The note looks like it is written in goblin.” He handed it to Willow, who translated it to us: We’ve taken the towers as instructed. No survivors, no prisoners, as usual. Send our rider back with word that the road to Mountain Hide is secured, then Phase 2 can begin. -Durgash.

“Who is Durgash, and what is he talking about?” Finfer asked. Freija thought for a moment. “I recall seeing towers, near Medietas. Could those be the towers in this note?” Willow said “Maybe our friend has knowledge.” Freija and I went to the prisoner, who was awake, but still bound, gagged, and tied to a tree. Having just witnessed the the battle moments before, he had a look of fear in his eyes, as if we would strike him down, next. Freija removed the gag, but kept him bound and tied. “We just want to talk.” she said softly. “You killed him.” the man whimpered. “You killed Immetis.” Freija pointed to the man on the ground. “Was that your leader, Immetis?” The man nodded. “What is your name, and why are you here?” I asked. With his leader dead, the man seemed to have lost his will to fight anymore. “My name is Lorand.” he said. “I am from the Kingdom of Nirand. I came to Evershard Isle to join the revolution of Pelor. They promised money and food.” Freija looked at him. “We will not harm you. We will let you go--if you make a promise.” Lorand nodded, earnestly. “Go home, Lorand. Go back to Nirand. Go back to your family. But you know what we are capable of doing, so know that if we cross paths again, we will not hesitate to kill you.” Tears in his eyes, he agreed. I gave him money for passage on a ship, untied him, and he ran, disappearing into the forest.

We returned to Temporalis, Finfer, and Willow, who had been sorting through what they found, filled them in on what we learned from Lorand, and asked if they found anything. “The scroll is a Firebolt spell” Willow said. “Unfortunately, I cannot use it.” Temporalis analyzed it. “Neither can I, which is unfortunate, because it looks to be rather powerful. Oh well, it should be worth some money, at least.” He looked around. “It’s getting late. What do you all say we head back to our campsite and rest up, then head back to Mountain Hide in the morning?” We all agreed, and made our way back to the clearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment