Sunday, January 4, 2015

Who I Am


My name is Eloni. This is my story of adventure, peril, friendship, and family. Before I dive into the story, let me provide some background on me and my family. My family and I are wood elves. I have an older brother, an older sister, and a younger brother. Physically, I have long, black, curly hair that nearly reaches the tops of my legs, olive skin with a slight green tint, and dark green eyes. If one were to take a close look, they would discover a mostly-faded scar on my right cheek, from a childhood game with my sister, Willow. Emotionally, I am pretty stubborn. I tend to act before thinking, usually with consequences. I am skeptical of almost anything that is unusual to me, and pretty sarcastic. However, I am playful and good-natured, and do love a good time.

By trade, I am a hunter and ranger. I never really had much of an education per se, as my family resides in a small village deep in the forest. We provide for ourselves by living off the land, hunting, and gathering. I was always good with a bow (Mother likes to say I have a natural talent), so I took to carrying one everywhere with me. I am basically self-taught, although Father did teach me the basics when I was young. I have carried a bow with me ever since I was strong enough to draw back a string. Because of that, I took to patrolling the outskirts of our village, as a protector of sorts, doing my best to keep wild animals away from our village residents. After a time, the rest of the villagers came to see me as a sort of local law enforcement, and would often call upon me to break up skirmishes, or assist in emergencies (such as a campfire that has gotten out of control). I never had much of a gift for medicine, but Willow does, so we make a good team.

Growing up, I never had friends, really. I mean, the villagers were always friendly to me, and accepted me, but I never really got close to any of them, nor were there many others my age. It has always just been me and Willow. Woodsy, my eldest brother, is older than Willow & I, and his desire to explore always had him trying to learn everything he could about the world. Eadwinn is the youngest of us all, and he was never really around all that much. So, in addition to being my sister, Willow is my best friend. I am certainly not opposed to having other friends, but I guess that, since people see me as their protector, they are hesitant to get too close to me. And that is fine; I am more of a loner, anyway.

Although my family and village pray to Ehlenestra (you may know her better as Ehlonna, the Goddess of Forests, Woodlands, Flora, Fauna, and Fertility), I do not follow her religiously. I am more devoted to the idea of “as long as you are not harming anyone, you are free to do and believe as you wish”. That being said, I do not like criminals, or beings who hold no regard for the lives or well beings of others, or those who destroy nature and all it contains, as nature is very important to me. There are many theological issues we could debate (such as when stealing or even killing are acceptable, as I believe in stealing to feed one’s family, or killing in defense of one’s self or in the protection of others), but that is probably best suited for another time. What is most important to me, though, is my family.

My father’s name was Waclaw, and he was a trapper. He was a very good one, too, the best in our village. I say “was”, because one day, about four years ago, he found an extraordinarily large boar in a pretty foul mood in one of his traps, and when he went to complete the job the boar stabbed him with a tusk and killed him. It took everyone in our small community by shock, as Father was very strong and quick. It was a very dark time for all of us, my youngest brother in particular. Earla, my mother, grieved for Father more than the rest of us, but also knew that she needed to be strong for the rest of us. Mother is beautiful, gentle, elegant, and a mother figure to many in our village. Everyone looks up to her and deeply respects her. She is a hunter and gatherer, and has taught my siblings and me, as well as several others in our village, how to survive in the wilderness. I deeply admire her strength and determination, and strive to exhibit those qualities in myself.

My brother Woodsy is a man who has always had a taste for adventure. About two years ago, he met up with a small group of others who had similar desires, and they are currently out exploring the world. He always said there was more to life than our forest, and he wanted to see it all. Mother, knowing Woodsy’s desires, insisted he follow his dreams. He finally relented, and after he made sure that Mother was well taken care of by us and our village, he set off to see what all there is to see. He sends us notes from time to time, and small gifts from the places he has been. I miss him terribly, but I am happy he is doing what he loves.

Willow, is graceful, quiet, smart, exquisitely beautiful, and has as a very deep connection with nature. I have never before seen anything like it. It is almost as if nature itself bends to her wishes, and she becomes the very thing with which she is so connected. She is very devoted to Ehlenestra. Don’t let her gentle and quiet nature fool you, though, as she is a woman of action. She is inquisitive, helpful, and can certainly defend herself if the need arises. Although we share many traits, where I tend to act before thinking, she asks questions and carefully plans her moves and actions before doing anything.

My brother Eadwinn never liked the forest life, never cared for our village, and was a troublemaker of sorts from the start. He would often be seen running around the outskirts of our village with ruffians and urchins, which was a constant heartache for Mother. He took Father’s death very badly, more so than the rest of us, and I believe it drove him further away from us. He would often disappear for days on end, but he would always resurface, apologetic, saying he will stay away from those people, and that he will change. Mother always believed him. Woodsy was always stern with him, believing he should follow more in Father’s footsteps and learn the trapping trade. Willow has always been sympathetic to him, like another mother-type figure. I am skeptical of his promises to change, never believing him, but I love him dearly and wish for a day when he is happy.

Eadwinn is the reason for my journey. He left one night, last seen with this particularly rough group of known criminals known as The Otornasse, and he has not been home since. It has been three weeks since anyone has seen or heard from Eadwinn. Mother is beside herself with worry, nearly inconsolable, so she sent Willow and I to find Woodsy, so that maybe he can help us locate Eadwinn and bring him home. Willow and I left our forest home and headed in the direction we last heard from Woodsy, a place called the Mountain Hide Trading Company on Evershard Isle. His last letter arrived two weeks ago, so he does not know of Eadwinn’s disappearance. I do not know if he is still on Evershard Isle, but at least it is a place to start. After traveling across the land and finally reaching the coast, Willow and I must find a way to book passage on a ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment